If you really want to integrate into Douarnenez, you need to follow certain rules…
- Appreciate the ‘village’ feel of the town
- Love the sea
- Build up strong calf muscles so you can climb the steep coastline
- Learn to protest and then discuss
- Do a pilgrimage for lent, at least once in your lifetime, but ideally every year
- Learn to build your own cardboard boat so you can then build a real one from wood at the local shipyard Ateliers de l’Enfer
- Do justice to every meal
- Spread the word about Kouign Amann wherever possible
- Learn to play a musical instrument so you can join in fanfares!
- Learn a few Douarnenez expressions, which often blend French with Breton, and with a particular tone and accent that makes it immediately recognisable even in a very crowded street or in the throes of a festival.
If you get all that, you’re good to go!